Recipe Box Adventure!

I have always been fascinated by old recipes. I collect antiques and am always scouring the shops looking for old recipe books. I always hunt for a recipe box which actually contains the recipes from the home cook. In all my travels, and all of the recipe boxes that I have looked at, I have never found one that had the recipes contained within. On a recent trip to Texas, I found such a box! It was made in Japan (has the sticker on it) but was sold to its owner in Bruners San Antonio Corpus for $1.00. There was a label in the box written by the shop keeper which said “Purchased in 1950”. It is jam packed with recipes and I decided that it would be fun to include you, my readers, as we explore this recipe box together.

I am also a home cook who has a passion for cooking, food and all things yummy. So, I thought, why not combine my love of cooking, old recipes and exploration in this blog that I could share with my friends?

I’m not sure how many recipes are actually contained in the box, but it could be a couple of hundred which will keep us entertained for many days to come.

Together we will pull one recipe at a time and I will attempt to cook it. I have to admit, I’m not much of a baker but will give it my very best effort. I hope that in exploring these recipes we can keep history alive and cookin’!

Monday, March 3, 2014

SPRING IS COMING!  HOLD TIGHT!!

I'm just adding this post because I know everyone who lives in cold country is so tired of this winter. But, I had to share this with you because there is hope.  Hope is all there is!

Look at these beauties!!  They showed up at a near by grocery store and I had to buy them (and cook them!)

I love, love, love beets.  I know that I have offended people by saying that but I cannot tell a lie.  I love them.  They are so sweet and versatile in their application.
Look at these beauties!
 These are baby beets of different colors.  I felt like I found gold when I saw these!

I'm going to roast them.  I cut the tops off and washed them.  Then, added some olive oil, sea salt and a little butter.
Roasted at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes! Completely wrapped in foil.

My mother used to cook the beet tops (kind of like swiss chard, etc) and they are really good too.  But, I'm a beet purist and just love the dainty baby beet as is.
Sliced them thin and yes, that is a pat of butter on them!
So delicious...a taste of spring! It will be here soon!  See you next recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment