Recipe Box Adventure!

I have always been fascinated by old recipes. I collect antiques and am always scouring the shops looking for old recipe books. I always hunt for a recipe box which actually contains the recipes from the home cook. In all my travels, and all of the recipe boxes that I have looked at, I have never found one that had the recipes contained within. On a recent trip to Texas, I found such a box! It was made in Japan (has the sticker on it) but was sold to its owner in Bruners San Antonio Corpus for $1.00. There was a label in the box written by the shop keeper which said “Purchased in 1950”. It is jam packed with recipes and I decided that it would be fun to include you, my readers, as we explore this recipe box together.

I am also a home cook who has a passion for cooking, food and all things yummy. So, I thought, why not combine my love of cooking, old recipes and exploration in this blog that I could share with my friends?

I’m not sure how many recipes are actually contained in the box, but it could be a couple of hundred which will keep us entertained for many days to come.

Together we will pull one recipe at a time and I will attempt to cook it. I have to admit, I’m not much of a baker but will give it my very best effort. I hope that in exploring these recipes we can keep history alive and cookin’!

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Recipe Box- Recipe  #8

Party Sandwich Filling:

1 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
3/4 cup chopped California walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion (I used red onion)
3 Tbsp chopped pimiento
1 Tbsp catsup
3 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
3/4 tsp salt
Dash pepper

Combine all ingredients.  Use as a filling between lightly buttered slices of sandwich bread.  Trim crusts, if desired.  Cut each sandwich diagonally in 4 triangles.  Makes 2 1/3 cups filling.

Hello recipe box readers!!  This next recipe comes to us via the Better Homes and Garden cookbook. I don't know if it ever was in the cookbook but its torn edges say "Add these pages to your Better Homes and Gardens cookbook" and file under bread.  The date of this one is April, 1959.  I was researching these cookbooks,as I don't have one, and they seem to still be very popular.

BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS NEW COOKBOOK 5 RING BINDER 1962 EDITION
Saw this one on Ebay!


Roasted red pepper substitute for pimientos

This was so easy to make!  The only thing I would say is to really make sure your cream cheese is very soft.  Mine wasn't completely soft and it was a little hard to mix it thoroughly.  It didn't specify what kind of bread to use so you could use any kind of bread that you like.


I did trim the crusts as mentioned in the recipe! 
Very dainty and adorable!

These little sandwiches were really delicious and they disappeared in a hurry!  The filling is also very colorful they would be great on a buffet table or for an afternoon tea party. A real recipe box winner!!!
There are some other sandwich recipes included with this one and I'll be letting you know about those on another day!  It's going to be near 60 degrees today so I'll be going outside to enjoy the heat wave!!
See you next recipe!




No comments:

Post a Comment