Recipe Box Adventure!

I have always been fascinated by old recipes. I collect antiques and am always scouring the shops looking for old recipe books. I always hunt for a recipe box which actually contains the recipes from the home cook. In all my travels, and all of the recipe boxes that I have looked at, I have never found one that had the recipes contained within. On a recent trip to Texas, I found such a box! It was made in Japan (has the sticker on it) but was sold to its owner in Bruners San Antonio Corpus for $1.00. There was a label in the box written by the shop keeper which said “Purchased in 1950”. It is jam packed with recipes and I decided that it would be fun to include you, my readers, as we explore this recipe box together.

I am also a home cook who has a passion for cooking, food and all things yummy. So, I thought, why not combine my love of cooking, old recipes and exploration in this blog that I could share with my friends?

I’m not sure how many recipes are actually contained in the box, but it could be a couple of hundred which will keep us entertained for many days to come.

Together we will pull one recipe at a time and I will attempt to cook it. I have to admit, I’m not much of a baker but will give it my very best effort. I hope that in exploring these recipes we can keep history alive and cookin’!

Monday, March 17, 2014

Recipe Box- Recipe  #9

Nine Day Slaw:

1 medium cabbage, shredded
2 stalks celery, diced
2 medium onions, diced (I chose red onion)
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup sugar
1 cup salad oil
1 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
Pimentos

Combine cabbage, onion and green pepper.  Add 1 cup sugar and blend well.  Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Pour dressing over cabbage mixture immediately and allow it to cool.  Cover and store in refrigerator for at least one day before serving.  Serves 8-10; stays fresh and crisp for nine days.

Hello fellow recipe explorers!  This next recipe up from our well loved recipe box is for a coleslaw of sorts.  Nine day slaw to be exact.  I wonder why nine day?  Why not 7 day or 13 day?  My mind is free to ponder the 9 days.

It doesn't say where this is authored from but the actual recipe is very tattered (quite like a lot of them in this box).

Also, you will note the jar of roasted red peppers again.  I am going to use them in place of the pimentos again. 

I don't know about you all but we love coleslaw in our home!  I have several recipes that are really delicious (one that uses a boiled dressing like this one) but we are not opposed to just picking up a bag of coleslaw mix and using dressing out of bottle!  I especially love coleslaw with bbq meats. 

Here we go!

Problem, right off the bat.  Recipe says to combine cabbage, onion and green pepper.  What about the celery?  What about the pimentos?  It later says to "Combine remaining ingredients".  Does this include the celery and pimentos?  What to do...what to do?

Executive decision needed here.  I am deciding to add the celery and red peppers to the cabbage mixture as I think the "dressing" should just be the liquid ingredients.  That can be the problem with vintage recipes but also the fun because you get to make 'executive decisions'.  Also, the recipe doesn't give a qty for the pimentos.  Or, are they a garnish?
I chopped up about 2 tbsp and added them to the cabbage mixture (another exec decision).

If you are going to try this one- make sure that you have a REALLY big bowl.  The bowl I used was too small and it was hard to mix the sugar into the cabbage mixture.  I was thinking of the end result when all of the cabbage will shrink as the slaw matures.
 

Everything was very easy to do.   I guess we have to wait a day to eat it but I will sneak a taste as soon as it cools down.

OK, at first taste it is yummy, yummy!  I can't wait to keep trying it during the 9 day slaw adventure!  I am a little concerned because there is so much dressing in the bowl but I will have faith in this recipe and will keep you up to date on what is happening with it.  I might also add a little black pepper along the way.

Because we try to link a little history with these recipe's- here is a link to an interesting site where I read all about the history of cabbage.  I was trying to research the 9 day thing but didn't really find anything.  I wonder if it's origins came from someone who kept eating the slaw on days 1-9 and then on the 10th day said "Yuck, this slaw has gone bad"!
Hence 9 day slaw instead of 10!!



No comments:

Post a Comment