Recipe Box Adventure!

I have always been fascinated by old recipes. I collect antiques and am always scouring the shops looking for old recipe books. I always hunt for a recipe box which actually contains the recipes from the home cook. In all my travels, and all of the recipe boxes that I have looked at, I have never found one that had the recipes contained within. On a recent trip to Texas, I found such a box! It was made in Japan (has the sticker on it) but was sold to its owner in Bruners San Antonio Corpus for $1.00. There was a label in the box written by the shop keeper which said “Purchased in 1950”. It is jam packed with recipes and I decided that it would be fun to include you, my readers, as we explore this recipe box together.

I am also a home cook who has a passion for cooking, food and all things yummy. So, I thought, why not combine my love of cooking, old recipes and exploration in this blog that I could share with my friends?

I’m not sure how many recipes are actually contained in the box, but it could be a couple of hundred which will keep us entertained for many days to come.

Together we will pull one recipe at a time and I will attempt to cook it. I have to admit, I’m not much of a baker but will give it my very best effort. I hope that in exploring these recipes we can keep history alive and cookin’!

Friday, February 7, 2014

Recipe Box- Recipe? #4

SUSPICIOUS NOTE

So, evidently, a recipe box can also contain secret notes.  This was in the box looking like a folded recipe.  You can imagine my surprise when I opened it.  In the photo, I blocked out the detectives name for privacy reasons.  

My imagination ran wild thinking of all the things that could be possible for this note to be in a recipe box.  Who wrote the note?  Was it a mother whose child was in trouble with drugs?  Who was keeping it a secret?  Was it hidden in the box because there was danger associated with it?
Was it hidden in the box because someone was meeting with the detective and didn't want others to know it?
Maybe the box was used to transport messages back and forth from one home to another as the recipe box was lent out supposedly for recipe sharing?

As I thought about it, I realized that a recipe box would be a great place to hide things other than recipes.  Who would think to look among the recipes for secrets? Nowadays, we have our laptops and other electronic devices where we can hide things.  But, back in the day an unassuming little wooden recipe box would have been an excellent vessel for hidden items.

Well, I knew that exploring this box would be fun but didn't figure on intriguing as well. I'm excited to see what else we can find!

No comments:

Post a Comment