Recipe Box Adventure!

I have always been fascinated by old recipes. I collect antiques and am always scouring the shops looking for old recipe books. I always hunt for a recipe box which actually contains the recipes from the home cook. In all my travels, and all of the recipe boxes that I have looked at, I have never found one that had the recipes contained within. On a recent trip to Texas, I found such a box! It was made in Japan (has the sticker on it) but was sold to its owner in Bruners San Antonio Corpus for $1.00. There was a label in the box written by the shop keeper which said “Purchased in 1950”. It is jam packed with recipes and I decided that it would be fun to include you, my readers, as we explore this recipe box together.

I am also a home cook who has a passion for cooking, food and all things yummy. So, I thought, why not combine my love of cooking, old recipes and exploration in this blog that I could share with my friends?

I’m not sure how many recipes are actually contained in the box, but it could be a couple of hundred which will keep us entertained for many days to come.

Together we will pull one recipe at a time and I will attempt to cook it. I have to admit, I’m not much of a baker but will give it my very best effort. I hope that in exploring these recipes we can keep history alive and cookin’!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Recipe Box- Recipe #3

MYSTERY ROLL-UPS

So, this next recipe looks very well used.  It must have been a favorite... back in the day.
In fact, the title was ripped and I wasn't able to see the full title of this recipe, hence the Mystery Roll-Up title.

Here we go!

Remove crusts from 1 lb. loaf unsliced bread.  Slice lengthwise into 6-8 slices.  Blend together 2 eggs, 2 Tbsp. Heinz Ketchup, 2 Tbsp. water, 1/4 tsp salt, and a dash of pepper.  Dip bread into mixture.  Brown on both sides in a lightly greased skillet.  Spread each slice with cheese spread (doesn't specify what kind) and Heinz ketchup.  Roll jelly-roll fashion.  Secure with toothpicks.  Roll in grated parmesan cheese.  Bake on lightly greased oven in a 475 degree oven for 5 minutes.  Serve with soup or salad.

Only 5 ingredients needed.  I have never heard of anything like this recipe and am thinking that it maybe could have been an entry in a Heinz ketchup contest? 

So, right off the bat there was a problem.  My french bread was a day old but it was still very difficult to cut.  The recipe doesn't say how thick the slices should be and in slicing the bread, it became mushy and hard to cut.  I managed to get only two slices out of my
whole loaf.  Good thing I'm not making this for company for the first time!

Couldn't get the french bread sliced thinly enough.

The bread quickly soaked up the egg mixture, so depending on how thick your slices are you might need to add more eggs, ketchup, etc.

My bread is also sticking to the skillet even though I lightly greased it with some butter.  This reminds me of cooking french toast only its ketchup.  I'm frying the slices on med-high heat for about 3-4 minutes per side.  I was also nervous about not cooking them long enough because of the raw egg inside the bread.  Fry the slices like you would do for french toast is my recommendation.


I would also recommend getting your cheese spread to room temperature because it will tear the bread if not soft enough.

Finished product.  Not sure even proper plating would help the looks of these.  They don't look very appetizing.
These look pretty bad.

Reviews are mixed for this recipe.  It kind of reminds me of a riff on a grilled cheese with similar flavors (because I love tomatoes in my grilled cheese).  My recommendations are (if you want to try this recipe) to use the sliced french bread that you find in the bread aisle of the grocery store.  That way, the slices are already cut and uniform (you can still cut the crusts off).  Using that type of bread will also give you thinner roll-ups because using the french bread, thick slices, was just too "bready".   Another suggestion was to add bacon to the roll-ups.  Well, we all know that bacon makes everything better, right?  How 'bout a little salami or bologna? 

I love ketchup and especially home made or ketchup's flavored with different things.  You can find specialty ketchup's in specialty food stores but I'm also seeing some popping up on grocery store shelves.  Here are two that I'm trying.  The balsamic ketchup is really good and I'm looking forward to trying the jalapeno flavored.  Experimenting with flavored ketchup's could also add a new dimension to the roll-ups!

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea for a blog. I know a lot of people who will be interested in how to make food from their past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think this recipe box is a mystery of sorts because I'm not sure what all is in it. As I've already seen, there are more than just recipe's contained within!
    Exploring will be fun!

    ReplyDelete