Recipe Box Adventure!

I have always been fascinated by old recipes. I collect antiques and am always scouring the shops looking for old recipe books. I always hunt for a recipe box which actually contains the recipes from the home cook. In all my travels, and all of the recipe boxes that I have looked at, I have never found one that had the recipes contained within. On a recent trip to Texas, I found such a box! It was made in Japan (has the sticker on it) but was sold to its owner in Bruners San Antonio Corpus for $1.00. There was a label in the box written by the shop keeper which said “Purchased in 1950”. It is jam packed with recipes and I decided that it would be fun to include you, my readers, as we explore this recipe box together.

I am also a home cook who has a passion for cooking, food and all things yummy. So, I thought, why not combine my love of cooking, old recipes and exploration in this blog that I could share with my friends?

I’m not sure how many recipes are actually contained in the box, but it could be a couple of hundred which will keep us entertained for many days to come.

Together we will pull one recipe at a time and I will attempt to cook it. I have to admit, I’m not much of a baker but will give it my very best effort. I hope that in exploring these recipes we can keep history alive and cookin’!

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Recipe Box- Recipe  #11

Marshmallow Waldorf Salad:

Prettiest, most delicious apple salad you ever made! Easiest too!  Don't peel apples.  Dice them to make 3 cups, sprinkle with 1 tbsp lemon juice and add 1 cup of Kraft's fresh little recipe size marshmallows.  (Easy to add-you don't have to cut 'em up!) Add 1 cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and Miracle Whip Salad Dressing to moisten.  Toss lightly.  Arrange thin unpeeled apple wedges on each salad, petal fashion.  Top with salad dressing.

Hello recipe boxers!!  Sorry that I've been away...got caught under the weather with a bug (feeling better!!) so I am very happy to be back to recipes today!  I really like the look of this one!  The photo just looks so festive and pretty!  However, whenever I read a recipe and it uses the term, "arrange in a petal fashion" I start to sweat.  Decorating stuff just never has been my strong suit!  But, in true recipe box explorer fashion, I am ready to give it my best shot! 
Marshmallows!!

I really like the instructions although they don't tell us how many apples we need to buy. So, we get to make lots of executive decisions and just have fun!!  I especially like the reference to "Kraft's fresh little recipe size marshmallows".  Fresh?  Really?  What is the shelf life of marshmallows?  Anyway, I thought it was cute.

I remember growing up, my mom quite often made Waldorf salad.  I know for sure that it didn't have marshmallows in it.  I think...just celery, apples...it's funny because I do remember the application of the lemon juice.  Memories of tasting the sweetness of the apple and then mouth curdling when the lemon juice hit the taste buds.  I didn't really like that taste but I understood that it was to keep the apples from going brown. 

Marshmallows...what to say, what to say?  My taste lends itself toward warm and gooey i.e., smores or marshmallow treats.  I have never been one to just eat marshmallows out of the bag but I think there are some interesting cookies that have marshmallow in them.  I once watched Martha Stewart making home made marshmallows and they looked absolutely delicious but, alas, I have not ever made them.

This was a very easy recipe to make.  The chopping was cathartic and I actually liked trying to make it look pretty!  I'm not a big fan of Miracle Whip but that's probably because mom never used it- traditional mayo was her dressing for Waldorf salad.  Hubbie said it was really good!  I added a touch of sea salt to balance the sweetness and, overall, I liked it.  I think kids would really like this one because of the marshmallows!!  Plus, it does look kinda cool the way that they have it arranged.  Try it and let me know what you think!!  
 
Looks petal like, right?
Easy and pretty!!

See you next recipe secret!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment