Recipe Box Adventure!

I have always been fascinated by old recipes. I collect antiques and am always scouring the shops looking for old recipe books. I always hunt for a recipe box which actually contains the recipes from the home cook. In all my travels, and all of the recipe boxes that I have looked at, I have never found one that had the recipes contained within. On a recent trip to Texas, I found such a box! It was made in Japan (has the sticker on it) but was sold to its owner in Bruners San Antonio Corpus for $1.00. There was a label in the box written by the shop keeper which said “Purchased in 1950”. It is jam packed with recipes and I decided that it would be fun to include you, my readers, as we explore this recipe box together.

I am also a home cook who has a passion for cooking, food and all things yummy. So, I thought, why not combine my love of cooking, old recipes and exploration in this blog that I could share with my friends?

I’m not sure how many recipes are actually contained in the box, but it could be a couple of hundred which will keep us entertained for many days to come.

Together we will pull one recipe at a time and I will attempt to cook it. I have to admit, I’m not much of a baker but will give it my very best effort. I hope that in exploring these recipes we can keep history alive and cookin’!

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Recipe Box- Recipe  #12

ACTION LINE ARTICLE ON COCKROACHES:
Action Line

"Please, please tell me what to do to get rid of some cockroaches that seem to be taking possession of my home.  I have tried about everything I can think of or have been told about.  Can you please suggest a way I can get rid of these horrible creatures?- Mrs.I.P.H"
 
Please tell me what to do!
Hi to all who love exploring old recipes and other secrets!  Next up from our little box is an article from a newspaper (not sure which one and when it was published) regarding the pesky cockroach.  So, I would assume that this was a problem in the recipe box owners home.  I always heard that these insects were the "oldest living insect" in the world.  They are extremely resilient and are hard to get rid of. 

It is a little hard writing about these creatures especially when I have heard that most restaurants have them running around.  I don't like to think about them.  I like to put my head in the sand and pretend that they don't exist. 

So...in a full disclosure mode...I have lived in a home that had cockroaches (or maybe just one cockroach, I dunno).  The first time I saw one/it..I freaked out.  I like to think that I am extremely clean, but it really brought home the idea that these creatures can exist with no food, water, etc.  Because, obviously the cockroach lived in the home much longer than I did.  YUK!  Yes, a cockroach has crossed my path.  ICK! 

I did a little research concerning these pests and found out the following:

But there is no question that cockroaches are hardy. Studies have found they can live several days after being decapitated. And when times are tough, those with heads can survive by eating glue or each other.

Ick Ick and more ick...
Especially, because we are talking mostly about food. The article says to Mix 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of boric acid powder, and 1/2 cup of yellow cornmeal.  Stir this stuff thoroughly, pour it into a squeeze bottle and squirt it along the sides of the drainboards, cupboards and along whatever roadway the rotten roaches roam.  Thank goodness in my home now, I have not seen the dreaded cockroach so I was not able to test this method.  It sounds like you have to be vigilant
in the topical application of this method.  

I love the end of the article...it says..."Keep dishing out the dosages every week until you vanquish every vestige of the visiting vulgar varmits."

Varmits..I love that word! 

So, as is typical with me...I have to lighten the moment by saying that I went to an old fashioned candy store yesterday and found the following (who knew?):
 
Who knew?
HAHA...what in the world ever possessed the Jelly Belly company to make a Cockroach jelly but I found one!! 
 
Kinda gross!
Hubbie and I just tried it and it was a good one!

HEHE!  A Jelly Belly Cockroach is a good one!!  Let us turn to jelly cockroaches for relief.


See you next recipe secret!!

No comments:

Post a Comment