Recipe Box Adventure!

I have always been fascinated by old recipes. I collect antiques and am always scouring the shops looking for old recipe books. I always hunt for a recipe box which actually contains the recipes from the home cook. In all my travels, and all of the recipe boxes that I have looked at, I have never found one that had the recipes contained within. On a recent trip to Texas, I found such a box! It was made in Japan (has the sticker on it) but was sold to its owner in Bruners San Antonio Corpus for $1.00. There was a label in the box written by the shop keeper which said “Purchased in 1950”. It is jam packed with recipes and I decided that it would be fun to include you, my readers, as we explore this recipe box together.

I am also a home cook who has a passion for cooking, food and all things yummy. So, I thought, why not combine my love of cooking, old recipes and exploration in this blog that I could share with my friends?

I’m not sure how many recipes are actually contained in the box, but it could be a couple of hundred which will keep us entertained for many days to come.

Together we will pull one recipe at a time and I will attempt to cook it. I have to admit, I’m not much of a baker but will give it my very best effort. I hope that in exploring these recipes we can keep history alive and cookin’!

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Hello Recipe Boxers!
Hope you all are having a great week!
I just wanted to share some neat photo's with you!

Can you guess what these are?
Spring is here...better late than never!
I live in the sunflower state!!  They are gorgeous!

















Brown tomatoes, sunflowers- my aloe plant got in the picture too.  That is a view from my kitchen window.
I had never heard of brown tomatoes but they are very tasty!!

A little more about me...
I have lived in many different area's of our country.  East Coast, West Coast, a stint in Michigan for 4 years BUT, by far, I love living in the Kansas City area the best!  Is it the folks, the food, the weather (4 seasons which I love!)?  It's all of it!
When my husband took a job here in Kansas I started to cry!  I never liked the movie "The Wizard of OZ" and only thought of Kansas as being very flat.  Little did I know that Eastern Kansas was so beautiful! And...it wasn't flat! But, even since then, I have visited western Kansas and appreciate the beautiful flat lands and Flint Hills!  I love all things Kansas!!
I'm excited to be here and experience all of the wonder of the true Midwest along with the wonder of an old recipe box!

See you next recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment